AIR QUALITY HEALTH ADVISORY – GREATER PORTOLA AREA
CLEAR THE AIR; CHECK BEFORE YOU LIGHT
THERE ARE CURRENTLY NO AIR QUALITY ADVISORIES IN EFFECT.
CHECK BACK DAILY FOR PORTOLA AREA WINTERTIME ADVISORIES… CLEAR THE AIR; CHECK BEFORE YOU LIGHT.
With your help, Portola can CLEAR THE AIR and improve community health. Here’s how:
- Light ONLY in EPA certified devices.
- Use only dry, well-seasoned wood (<20% moisture content).
- Go outside and look at the chimney to make sure it is burning hot enough so that smoke is not being emitted. A proper fire should produce only heat waves once draft is created.
- NEVER burn garbage or chemically treated wood.
- Do not let creosote build up in your chimney (avoid wet wood; clean the chimney annually).
- Schedule curbside green waste pickup with IMD (within the City of Portola) instead of open burning.
Are you eligible for funding to replace your current uncertified wood stove (or qualified fireplace) with a new EPA certified stove? Contact the District at 530-832-0102 to find out!
GREATER PORTOLA WOOD STOVE CHANGE-OUT PROGRAM
Exposure to elevated PM2.5 concentrations can result in eye and throat irritation, headaches, nausea, shortness of breath, congestion, coughing, impaired lung function, chest pain and premature death, especially among sensitive individuals such as the elderly, children, people with asthma and people with heart or lung conditions.
Check Wintertime Air Quality Advisories at www.myairdistrict.com or call 530-832-4067
Information on current air quality (PM2.5) can be found at:
- http://myairdistrict.com/index.php/air-quality-info/ (Click on Portola)