Burn Day Status

YES = Burning is allowed in your area on the day specified.
NO = Burning is prohibited in your area on the day specified.

Recommended burn hours are 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM unless otherwise noted below.

Burn only natural vegetation that has been down for at least 3 weeks.  

Western Nevada County
(West of Norden, including Soda Springs)
YES YES Recommended burn hours are 9AM to 3PM on permissive burn days.
Truckee Area / Eastern Nevada County YES YES A burn permit issued by a fire agency is always required in the Truckee area.  Burning is allowed during daylight hours only.
Sierra County YES YES Recommended burn hours are 9AM to 3PM on permissive burn days.
Quincy Area
(Including the American and Thompson Valleys)
YES YES Burning is always prohibited in downtown Quincy and East Quincy.  Recommended burn hours are 9AM to 3PM on permissive burn days.  (The wintertime burn ban for the American and Thompson Valleys has been lifted until November 16).
Plumas County
(Except Quincy Area)
YES YES Recommended burn hours are 9AM to 3PM on permissive burn days

NOTE:  CALFIRE residential burn permits will be required starting May 1

For common QUESTIONS, such as which area you are in or where to get a burn permit, please visit the FAQ page.

BURN PERMITS are sometimes required by fire agencies. The “SPECIAL CONDITIONS” box above tells you if burn permits are currently required.  An Air Pollution Permit from the Air District is always required for Non-residential burns. For information, call 274-9360 in Nevada & western Sierra County or 832-0102 in Plumas & eastern Sierra County.

  • NEVER BURN GARBAGE!  Materials such as plastic, plywood, painted or treated wood, Styrofoam and so forth are illegal to burn because burning them emits toxins into the air that can cause an assortment of ailments, including headaches, learning disabilities in children, and various forms of cancer.
  • Burn HOT AND CLEAN!  Maintain plenty of flame to minimize smoke.  If there’s any danger of your fire escaping, or if it is too wet to burn well, wait for a better day.
  • 2 Kinds of Permits — BURN PERMIT vs. AIR POLLUTION PERMIT:  A Burn Permit is required by CAL FIRE during part of the year, when fire danger is more of a concern. In Sierra and Nevada County, Burn Permits are issued by most fire agencies. In Plumas County, they are issued by US Forest Service offices and a few fire departments (especially near Lake Almanor). NON-RESIDENTIAL burns and burns larger than one acre always require an Air Pollution Permit from the Air District. If you have any questions about your need for an Air Pollution Permit, call the Grass Valley Office at (530) 274-9360 and ask for Joe or Sam.
  • Please Read the Open Burning page before attempting any burning.  There, you will find important Rules and tips to help you burn intelligently and politely.
  • Wondering why we have No Burn Days? Click here.
  • Obtaining an Authorization to Burn on a No Burn Day
  • Update Timing: The Burn Day Status for the current day and the next day is generally updated by 5PM (sometimes later on weekends).  If you check earlier in the day, you will see the Status for yesterday and today.

 Open burning is BANNED in the city limits of Grass Valley and Nevada City and in the area known as Downtown Quincy and East Quincy!!

The Burn Day Status is also available by telephone:

Western Nevada County: (530) 274-7928
Eastern Nevada County: (530) 582-1027
Western Sierra County: (530) 289-3662
Eastern Sierra County: (530) 994-3561
Portola: (530) 832-4528
Quincy: (530) 283-3602
Greenville: (530) 284-6520
Chester: (530) 258-2588